Kitchen Club Kids® Summer Fresh Cucumber Salad
Get the kids involved at an early age, and start cooking up a healthy appreciation for the foods they eat!
Here are some great ideas to keep your little one engaged in the kitchen while you both prepare Kitchen Club Kids® Summer Fresh Cucumber Salad:
- Have the child go on a mission to locate the vegetables and herbs from the kitchen.
- See if child can name the vegetables and herbs they find.
- For the older kids, practice spelling the ingredients out loud.
- Talk about the color of the different ingredients. Do they have a favorite color? Can they find other similar colors around the kitchen?
- Child can cut and chop vegetables, using a plastic, child-safe knife.
- Child can help add ingredients to the large bowl, like the cucumber, tomato and onion.
- Adult should handle the pepper unless using a green bell pepper.
- Let child taste each vegetable to see if they have a favorite.
- Talk about the taste and smell of a lemon. Is it tart, sweet, both? What does it smell like? What shape is it?
- Child can help mix and toss the salad.
Rediscovering our kitchens and introducing healthy foods at an early age are keys to reversing the trend of childhood obesity in America. For all of you parents out there who are looking for a more defined, step-by-step way to introduce your toddlers to healthy foods and cooking fun, you can always check out the Kitchen Club Kids® recipe-adventure storybooks. Each story introduces a real recipe that can be prepared in the kitchen by cooks of any caliber. So, whether you’re reading with your child before mealtime or before bedtime, Kitchen Club Kids turns story time into a culinary, learning adventure.
Teaching your children how to cook is a lifetime skill that can be perfected well into adulthood! It’s never too early to start eating healthy and thinking about healthy food choices. Make it part of your daily life.
Kitchen Club Kids, Healthy Eating, Recipes for Kids, Fun Kitchen Activities for Children!