- 1 ¾ cup fresh corn kernels (or frozen)
- 5 oz can of creamed corn
- 8 oz. package Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ stick unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup Vermont white cheddar, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare a 9 x13 casserole dish by coating with cooking spray. Set on top of a baking sheet. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine fresh corn, creamed corn, muffin mix, sour cream, melted butter and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Add in Vermont cheddar cheese and stir to combine.
Pour into prepared casserole dish. Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
After casserole has baked, remove from oven and top with cheddar cheese. Return to the oven and cook for another 5-10 minutes, or until cheese has fully melted. Remove from oven and allow to stand for 5-7 minutes before serving. Garnish with extra parsley (optional).
Makes approximately 6-8 servings.
Kitchen Activities for Budding Chefs
- Ask your child to help gather the ingredients for the recipe. Explore the different items. Introduce names of ingredients and discover colors and textures.
- Working together, have your child help mix the batter for the casserole.
- Have your child help remove the leaves from the parsley stem. This is a great exercise to help develop their fine motor skills.
- Allow them to help you add in ingredients like the shredded, two types of corn, cheese, melted butter and parsley.
- When the casserole is done baking and has cooled, allow your child to taste their creation and see if they like it!
- Introduce a cheese grater to your child. Working together, allow them to grate the two types of cheeses for the recipe.
- Introduce a can opener to your chef. With adult supervision, allow them to open the can of creamed corn.
- Practice precise measuring with the ingredients like melted butter, sour cream and fresh corn.
- With adult supervision, allow your child to practice safe knife skills and help chop the fresh parsley.
- Working together, have them mix the batter, coat the baking dish and help keep track of time as it cooks.
- Once the casserole is done and cooled, allow them to taste the recipe and describe what they liked about it!