- 1/3 of a cooked chicken breast (cut into thin strips)
- 2 tablespoons plain cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons salsa
- ¼ of a red pepper (cut into thin strips)
- Handful of baby spinach
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Whole wheat tortilla
Mix cream cheese and salsa together and spread onto a whole wheat tortilla. You may substitute with flour tortillas.
Close to one edge of the tortilla and layer chicken strips and red pepper in a line. Sprinkle with cheddar then top with spinach leaves.
Starting at the edge with the chicken mixture, roll the tortilla as tightly as possible. Refrigerate until ready to pack the lunch.
When ready to pack the lunch, use a sharp knife to slice the roll-up into one inch pinwheels and place them into a plastic lunchbox container. Enjoy!
Kitchen Activities for Budding Chefs
- Ask your kitchen helper to help gather the ingredients for the recipe.
- Have them help wash the baby spinach (if need be). They can count how many leaves you are planning to use. Go on a seek and find to discover other colors around the kitchen that match the spinach.
- With adult supervision, ask them to help mix the cream cheese and salsa together. Give it a little taste and see what they think!
- Once the recipe is complete, have your taste tester give it a try.
- Have your child mix the cream cheese and salsa together and set aside.
- Introduce a box grater. With adult supervision, work together to grate the cheddar cheese (if using a block of cheese).
- Introduce a kid-friendly knife. Using proper knife skills, work together to cut the chicken and red bell pepper.
- Together, assemble the pinwheels, allowing your child to take the lead what ingredients to include and rolling them up. Try different ingredient combinations and get creative!
- Once the recipe is complete, ask them to carefully cut the roll ups into pinwheels and help pack them for school lunches or a snack.