- 3 beets
- 8 oz. baby spinach leaves
- 4 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- 2 clementines, peeled, separate segment
- 1 medium ripe avocados, diced
- ¼ cup pistachios
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup good olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Prep the beets by removing the tops and roots of the beets. Peel each beet with a vegetable peeler and then cut into bite-sized chunks. Placed cut beets on a baking sheet lined with foil. Toss the beets with a drizzle of olive oil, minced garlic (2 cloves), salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 25-30 minutes , turning over once or twice with a spatula, until beets are fork tender. Remove from the oven and allow to cool, about 10 minutes.
While the beets roast, prepare the citrus vinaigrette by combining all dressing ingredients. Whisk together until the dressing comes together. Set aside till ready to use.
In a large bowl, combine the spinach, avocado, clementine segments and pistachios. Top with goat cheese crumbles and cooled beets. Toss together. Pour a little of the vinaigrette over the salad. Toss again to make sure salad is coated with dressing.
Serve immediately. Makes approximately 4-5 small servings.
Kitchen Activities for Kids
- Have your little chef help wash the beets and pat dry before prepping them for the oven.
- Have your kitchen helper drizzle the oil and sprinkle the salt and pepper onto the cut beets. They can also help toss the ingredients using their hands before the beets go into the oven.
- Have your child help measure the ingredients for the dressing and whisk till the dressing comes together.
- Allow your child to help peel the clementines and separate the segments for the salad.
- Kids can help gather the ingredients for the recipe. Talk about colors, and help identify the fresh produce by name.
- With adult supervision, allow your child to use a citrus reamer or their hands to squeeze fresh oranges for the dressing.
- For the older kids, they can use a vegetable peeler to peel the beets.
- Older kids can help remove the pit from the avocado and scoop the flesh from the skin. They can also help to carefully slice/dice the avocado for the salad.
- When it is time to assemble the salad, they can help add the ingredients to your serving bowl and pour the dressing over the salad. With parent supervision, allow them to carefully toss the salad.
- Allow your budding chef to use their five senses to explore the salad!