- 1 ½ lb. of asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup plain panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Juice from ½ a lemon
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a baking sheet, toss asparagus spears with oil, salt and pepper. Be sure to toss well to combine all ingredients. Asparagus spears should be in a single line on baking sheet.
In a small bowl, combine Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs and melted butter. Toss with a fork.
Sprinkle on top of asparagus spears.
Roast in oven for about 15-20 minutes or until tender crisp. Remove from oven. Squeeze lemon juice. Serve immediately.
Makes approximately 4 servings.
Kitchen Activities for Budding Chefs:
- Practice counting 1-10 with the asparagus spears. Have your little helper carefully wash and pat dry the vegetable with a clean kitchen towel.
- Have your child help combine the cheese, breadcrumbs and melted butter. Have them toss the ingredients either with a fork or their hands.
- Ask your child to drizzle olive oil onto the asparagus. Using clean hands, have them gently rub each spear to ensure they are coated with oil. They can also help sprinkle them with salt and pepper and arrange the spears in a single line.
- Allow your helper to sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the asparagus. Help them to make sure all asparagus gets a little of the mixture before roasting in the oven.
- Allow asparagus to cool and let your kitchen helper have the first taste before enjoying with the family!
- With adult supervision, kids can practice their knife skills by trimming the asparagus.
- If you decide to grate your own cheese at home, introduce a box grater or microplane and have your kid chef to practice their grating skills.
- Once the recipe is done, allow them to taste their creation and ask them to describe the flavor.