- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 oz. package fresh English Peas (we like Trader Joe's)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ - to a 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- Zest from 1 medium lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs such as thyme, basil or parsley
- ¼ cup Pecorino Romano cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
Pour the olive oil into a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and the lemon zest. Cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
Add the lemon juice to the pan. Stir in peas and fresh herbs. Cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes. The peas should be crisp-tender.
Remove from heat and pour into a serving bowl. Immediately top with the cheese. Sprinkle with additional herbs and lemon juice (optional).
Kitchen Activities for Budding ChefsLittle Chefs
- Have your child help remove the fresh herbs from their stems. This is a great way to help develop their fine motor skills. Talk about each of the herbs you use and allow them to smell them.
- Allow your child to help you gather the lemons for the recipe. Talk about the color and shape of the citrus.
- Ask your child to help sprinkle the grated cheese once the peas are done cooking.
- When the recipe is finished, have your taste tester sample the dish. Ask them what they think!
- Introduce your child to a zester. Ask them to carefully zest the lemon (avoid the white part of the lemon as this is bitter.)
- With adult supervision, introduce your child to kid scissors for the kitchen. Have them chop up the fresh herbs. For older kids, they may practice safe knife skills to chop the herbs.
- Introduce your child to a garlic press. Have them help mince the garlic. You may also practice safe knife skills to mince up this ingredient.
- Practice precise measurements with the oil, lemon juice and cheese using measuring spoons and cups.
- Work together with your child to cook the peas on the stove. Ask them to help stir and add ingredients to build/finish the recipe.
- When the recipe is complete, ask them to describe the texture and flavor. See what they liked best about the dish.