- 1½ lb. beef chuck roast
- 2 large carrots (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 large stalks of celery (chopped)
- 1 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 large Yukon gold potato
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 large tomato (beef steak)
- 1 small bag of frozen cut green beans
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of all purpose Greek seasoning
- 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 ½ cups of water
- 1 cup beef stock
Heat stock pot on medium-high heat. Season beef with salt, pepper and ½ tablespoon of Greek seasoning. Brown the meat in 2 tablespoon of oil until all sides have been browned. Remove from pot and set aside.
Add butter and chopped onions, celery, carrots and sauté until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic and potatoes and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, thyme, remaining ½ tablespoon of Greek seasoning and tomato paste. Cook for 1 minute. Add flour and cook for 30 seconds. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add water and beef stock. Add beef back into the pot. Stir and turn flame down to low to simmer. Cook for 1 hour with lid on.
Add beans and stir soup. Cook for additional 30 minutes with lid on.
Uncover pot and let it cook for an additional 20 min until beef is fork tender.
Makes approximately 4-6 servings.
Kitchen Activities for Kids
- Count all the different vegetables in the recipe. Ask them what number they come up with.
- See if your child can name each vegetable and identify the color of each.
- See if they can find similar colors in the kitchen.
- Help wash carrots and celery.
- With careful supervision, older kids can help stir the pot with each new ingredient added.
- Talk about the texture and smell of each ingredient added.
- Once the recipe has finished cooking, carefully let them taste it. Be sure it's not too hot first.