Recipe adapted from Family Food on the Table
- 2 cups white whole wheat ﬂour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup olive or canola oil
- ¾ cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- Zest of one small lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 2 cups packed baby spinach leaves
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-count muffin tin with liners. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the ﬂour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar until light and ﬂuffy. Add the oil, yogurt, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Stir again to combine ingredients.
Mash the banana and add to the eggs and sugar mixture.
In a food processor, blend spinach leaves until very ﬁnely chopped. Add to the egg and sugar mixture. Mix to combine the ingredients.
Add the egg and sugar mixture to the flour mixture. Stir until just combined. Careful to not over mix the batter.
Spoon the batter into each cup, ﬁlling them almost to the top.
Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Makes approximately 12 muffins
Kitchen Activities for Budding Chefs
- Ask your child to line the muffin tin with liners. Practice counting 1-12 together. See how high they can count independently.
- Allow your child to help peel and mash the bananas. Give it a little taste and ask them to describe the texture and taste.
- Together, have your helper pack the spinach leaves into a measuring cup.
- With adult supervision, have your child help turn on/off the food processor to chop up the spinach.
- Taste your creation together and ask them what they think!
- Have your child practice precise measurements with the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder. Discuss the different sizes of cups/spoons. Do the same with the yogurt and oil.
- Allow your child to crack the eggs into the mixing bowl.
- Introduce a microplane or zester and help them to zest the lemon.
- With adult supervision, have your child mix the eggs and sugar together. Do the same with the dry ingredients. Finally, have them combine the two and carefully mix the batter.
- Together, scoop the batter into the muffin cups.
- When the recipe is ready, ask them what they loved most about creating the recipe. Don’t forget to taste test!